The Youth Arena Football League (YAFL) is an Atlanta Havoc sponsored youth football league. Games will be played in the Buford Arena on Saturdays prior to Atlanta Havoc professional Arena Football games during their season. It is being created to give youth football players a vehicle to practice and play tackle football year round while giving them exposure to the “Arena” version of professional football. The YAFL is seeking partnerships with any and all youth football associations in the Metro-Atlanta area who would like to have teams come and compete in the league in this inaugural season of 2018.
There will be four different age groups for this league:
- 6 and 7 year olds
- 8 and 9 year olds
- 10 and 11 year olds
- 12 and 13 year olds
The age for each player for each specific age group will be that player’s age as of September 1 of the previous year. For example… In this inaugural season of 2018, players will be eligible for the divisions according to their age on September 1, 2017.
Each team will be comprised of a minimum of sixteen (16) players and a maximum of twenty (20) players. The professional Arena Football leagues have eight (8) players on the field at a time. The minimum of 16 players will ensure that you have enough players to scrimmage during practices. The maximum of 20 players ensures that you do not have too many players so that you will have trouble giving playing time to some of those players.
We will have eight (8) teams in each age group in this inaugural season. The first eight teams to complete registration for each age group will be the teams that will formulate the league. Registration will be from December 1, 2017 – March 1, 2018. However, registration for any age group will close once 10 teams have completed registration for any specific age group.
Each team will be allowed to have four (4) coaches on the sideline during the game. You can have as many coaches as you want for practices, but only 4 may coach during the games. Each team is responsible for the background check and certification of any and all coaches associated with their specific team.
The cost for the league will be $125.00 per player per team. This will help to cover the fees for jerseys, referees, trainers, security, and the use of the Buford Arena. Players will be given a reversible jersey which will serve as two jerseys for HOME and VISITOR based upon their schedule. Any and all helmets, shoulder pads, pants, girdles, pads for pants, cleats, mouth pieces, etc. will be at the expense of the individual player and/or team.
The Rules of the Game will be similar to standard “youth football rules” with the following exceptions:
- There will only be eight (8) players on the field for each team at any one time
- The time for the games will be a TOTAL of 40 minutes with a HALFTIME at 20 minutes of a RUNNING CLOCK! Clock will only stop for TIPS (Time-Outs, Injuries, Penalties, and Scores). Halftime will be for 5 minutes.
- High Motion (motion towards the line of scrimmage from ONE (1) player on each down) will be permitted as it is in both the AFL and the CFL.
- The offense will only be given THREE (3) downs to gain ten (10) yards. In the event that they choose to kick on third down, then the ball can be kicked in an effort to either gain point or change field position as it is done in the AFL.
- There will be a minimum play rule where each player must play at least six (6) plays per game.
- Players are not allowed to play for multiple teams during the course of the same season.
- There are no limits attached to scoring by any one team (score as much as you desire).
- The walls of the indoor field are IN-PLAY just as they are in the AFL.
- At the end of the 40 Minute Play-Clock, THERE ARE NO TIE BREAKERS! The game will end in a TIE with that conclusion being part of that team’s record.
- The winners in each class will be determined at the end of the SEVEN (7) game season by their record and a tie-breaker based on common opponents, head-to-head competition and point-spread.
Other than the exceptions listed above, the Rules of the Gwinnett Football League (GFL) will serve as the BASE RULES for the YAFL. Rules will be agreed upon and ratified by coaches at a Pre-Season meeting once teams are registered for the inaugural season. Input from all coaches in the league will be welcomed and given sincere consideration, but the YAFL reserves the right to make the final decision regarding the rules of the league in the event that a compromise amongst all of the coaches can’t be reached and agreed upon.
CLOSING & CONTACT INFORMATION
We are excited about this opportunity to help bring year round, tackle youth football to the Gwinnett County area. This is a great opportunity for players who need additional work and reps in order to catch up to their peers and counterparts to be able to do so in an exciting, new environment. This will allow those kids who do not play baseball, lacrosse, and/or basketball to have the opportunity to still be able to play the sport that they love in an fun, competitive, and organized league.
For additional information regarding the YAFL, please contact Coach Gerald “Boo” Mitchell, Head Coach of the Atlanta Havoc.
You can also get additional information by visiting our website at atlantahavoc.com .
Coach Gerald “Boo” Mitchell